Monday, November 10, 2008

Jakarta Landlords are Very Spoiled

Finding a place to live in Jakarata is not an easy task for expats. Most landlords are very spoiled and will not rent their apartments or flats for less than 2 to 3 years. And not only that, they expect payments many months in advance. For those like me, who are here less than a year, the best option is a furnished, serviced apartment. For convenience sake, I opted for the residences in the Ritz Carlton Hotel and shopping complex - right across from my office. Perched here on the 31st floor, I have a dazzling view and everything I need at my fingertips. There is even a spa on the premises - and a morning yoga class! The rainy season, which runs from November through March, is starting. And when it rains, traffic comes to a crawl as streets flood and people rush to get home. A 10 minute drive can turn into an hour-long ordeal. But not for me. I just pop through the underground tunnel connecting the Ritz to the Jakarta Stock Exchange, and I am in my office in less than 5 minutes guaranteed.

3 comments:

krypto said...

You must beware of the "Phantom of Jakarta" who roams the tunnels between high-rises and quasi-governmental buildings!

zigmuna said...

Janine, it looks like you have quite the pad! And yoga to boot. Nice! I hope you're enjoying your stay so far, and that the work is turning out to meet your expectations. Peace, Sean

Jen Worth said...

It sounds like you have found the perfect arrangement - convenient for work with amenities you will enjoy. I just have one question - do you have a guest room? David and I really do hope to visit while you and Mike are in Jakarta!

Hope you are enjoying your adventure thus far!

A bientot,
Jen